I know I have kind of dropped the ball on the blog posts this semester but i still have time to play some catch up. What i am about to tell the world was my day without technology. For my day without technology I completed this task without using a phone, TV, and a computer, pretty much the big three in the common technology world. For this day I also asked a couple of friends to par-take in the festivities. We all went out to my friends land and we had a great day of first going scuba diving, where they have a pond where they conduct scuba classes where they are instructors. I have already been certified by a class that i took in high school to get open water certified, so we went down and fooled around until we were all about out of air when we surfaced.
After that we got into some dry clothes and we also brought with us multiple firearms. Just a few to include many semi-automatic rifles and hand guns as well as the good ol' shotgun. We set up targets down range and literally had a blast shooting with all the ammunition that we bought. We had competitions to see who could shoot better in different styles of shooting, no one really admits that they lost seeing as how the looser had to buy the beer. It ranged from a long distance shoot for accuracy to a grouping shoot with hand guns, a rapid fire with a magazine change accuracy, to the good old fashion skeet shooting with shotguns. It was a load of fun and also for me is a really big stress reliever.
After all the ammo was shot up and the targets and a couple of beavers, which were damming up a spill way that is putting their scuba pond in danger of breaking and they would lose a lot of money and time making that, we saddled up and started to drive back to the city where we came across a little fun park called celebration station where we wanted to ride some go-karts. We went in and bought up a couple of tickets to ride and we set off on the course. When we started we were the first 3 karts to go so we decided to mess with everyone behind us and get 3 wide and drive really slow so no one could pass us for the first couple of laps. So we did and kinda got on some peoples nerves but then we unleashed and went out and drove, a lot of other "racers" tried, and a couple of time succeeded, to put us in the wall for our nonsense at the beginning but it was all in good fun.
After the go-kart race we headed back to Norman where we spent the remainder of the night at the old O' Connells off Lindsey where reminisced and reflected on our day which was a lot of adventure and fun.
Wednesday, April 28, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Wow...that is the first word that comes to my mind when I read that this is what you did when you took a break from technology. However, the idea of scuba diving, shooting, and go karts I have to say isn't the first thing in my mind to do when taking a break, but it sure sounds like fun. I feel as if you were able to enjoy a day without a computer, television, and phone. Personally, I don't think I would be able to give up all three like you did, for I had enough difficulty with giving up my phone for a day.
ReplyDeleteWhere exactly did you go for the scuba diving and shooting? Like did you plan to go do those things the day you decided to give up pieces of technology? Did you feel weird without having or using those pieces of technology? Do you think you might ever try going another day or longer without a piece of technology?
I feel like that's not really a true day without technology. You had things to do- while not in your everyday life do these activites take place. It was easy because you weren't A- around them and B- had other things to keep your mind. You weren't aimlessly sitting somewhere or trying to busy yourself without these things. I'm saying it wasn't an everyday thing so I feel it was a little bit of a cheat.
ReplyDeleteThis day was yes planned but it was more on the wingin it side. What i took from it was that this assignment was to make you decide other things to do besides be on a phone or a computer or watching a TV. So with that in mind I did some activities that were fun and did not involve those things, Yes it may not have been a true day without technology but it was not aimed to do that, for yes i could go more days with out those things I may not do the same things but thats the beauty of the assignment it lets you go out and figure other things to do
ReplyDeleteI somewhat agree with Pacito. When I did my day without technology I chose a school day, which yes, I only went without Facebook. It was hard because I got emails to my phone and when I was bored I forced myself to read or go outside. You had a way harder time than I did seeing as you gave up everything technological, but you had a day full of fun to distract you. I think a day full of scuba diving, go kart racing, and shooting sounds like a lot of fun. You used the day without technology to do something different with your friends, and I bet it created a lot of fun memories. If we hadn't been assigned this task would you have had the chance to do these things with your friends? I will admit that technology limits our worldly experiences, for it places restrictions on what we feel comfortable doing. Most people would much rather sit on a computer or watch TV in their room, where they are comfortable, than go out and shoot a gun. People today don't think that they have time to go out and have fun or live a little and I like how you spent your day. This was very creative, very fun, and it sounds like you had a blast!
ReplyDeleteYou know the odd thing you said the big 3 TV, phone, and computer, and the sad thing is I go without watching TV everyday. The most tv I watch is when I roam into cate and see the tv's on while im eating with friends. Television is something to me that is very easy to give up. It is something that you don't need, especially now of days when you have a computer with limitless information at your fingertips (as well as HULU). So now that I do think about it, I guess I have gone without a major form of technology this whole year and honestly its quite nice. I remember when i lived at home I would come home and watch tv. Now i dont, and i find other things to do with my time and I feel like this has been a great change in my life this year...kinda makes me sad knowing what ill be doing over summer.
ReplyDeleteI really liked your blog post because it reminded me of childhood and how adventurous kids are since they don't have technology. It obviously wasn't the guns and scuba diving that brought childhood to mind, but just the fact that you were active all day instead of laying around watching TV or texting your friends instead of hanging out with them. Your day without technology sounds like it was really fun and a good experience for you to leave technology behind to go out and actually have fun outside.
ReplyDelete